I discovered this recipe at some point last year and tried it out for the first time during Christmas. They were amazing - light and citrusy, not too sweet, and with a wonderful lavender aroma. You can find food grade lavender at My Spice Sage. (Download the PDF.)
• 2 ¾ cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons lavender buds
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• 12 tablespoons butter (softened)
• 2 ounces cream cheese (softened)
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 teaspoons lemon extract
• 2 teaspoons orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or SilPat.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and lavender buds in a medium sized mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
4. Add egg and beat for two additional minutes.
5. Add vanilla, lemon, and orange extracts, and beat another two minutes.
6. Add the dry ingredients all at once, and mix until just combined.
7. Roll the dough into small balls. To achieve the crackled effect on the tops, do not roll completely, just shape into balls and leave the broken tops.
8. Leave at least two inches between cookies to allow for spreading in the oven.
9. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Allow to cool on pan.
10. When cooled, top with Citrus Glaze (recipe below), if desired.
1 ½ cups confectioner sugar
zest of one orange
3-4 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir by hand until smooth and creamy. (If mixture is too thick, add more juice. If too runny, more confectioners sugar.)
2. Drizzle on the tops of the cooled cookies. Allow to dry at least an hour before stacking.